In partnership with:
Business Accelerator Program
The Accelerator: Selected Veterans will take part in VetLaunch’s business accelerator program, which will run from the first week of January through the end of March. This program is specifically tailored to Veterans, and it covers such topics as how to start a business, choose a legal structure, decipher accounting requirements, marketing, social media, and even raising capital. The selected Veterans will be provided with mentors that have been in the same position and have launched successful businesses.
Our veterans are provided one-on-one guidance by our Entrepreneurs-in-Residence, Lisa Lloyd, in weekly meetings which will meet the specific needs of each veteran owned company. The participants will also meet weekly as a cohort for interactive discussions with guest speakers who will address various topics related to starting, growing and running a business. In these cohort meetings, the veterans will also develop camaraderie and get chance to learn from their peers’ experiences.
Our veterans will also be introduced to a network of local experts and experienced entrepreneurs, both veteran and nonveteran, to provide additional support and mentorship.
The veterans in this program will also get to participate in New Orleans Entrepreneur Week, put on by Idea Village, the week of March 20th. They will get an opportunity to showcase their businesses at a pitch event, where the winner will receive a prize package valued at $25,000 including startup capital, pro bono services, space at The Landing Zone and more! The veterans will also be invited to the other events of NOEW including other pitch events, workshops, happy hours and networking opportunities.
In order to be eligible for VetLaunch’s Accelerator, your business must:
- Must have served or be currently serving in the U.S. armed forces, or the spouse of a veteran or military member
- Be organized as a for-profit
- Be located in the Greater New Orleans region
- Have no more than five full time employees
- Be willing to commit the time for all of the EIR and cohort meetings
The Selection Criteria
We will select 10-15 veteran entrepreneurs who best fit our program and can commit the time to working on their businesses. Our goal is to find entrepreneurs of integrity and grit with the potential to grow successful small business here in New Orleans. In doing so, we will consider the following:
- Past experiences, military service, and leadership history
- The potential business opportunity, including market size, competition analysis, present day obstacles, and go-to-market strategy
- Viability, reality, and defensibility of the Business Model
- Dedication to building your business in New Orleans
The Selections Process
After candidates submit an application, each application will be reviewed by the VetLaunch team and Entrepreneur in Residence. Here is the schedule for our selection process.
- Submit Application: Complete the online application
- In Person Interview: Applicants aligned with the VetLaunch qualification criteria will be invited to the Landing Zone to interview with a committee who will assess their character, business, and fit for the program
- Selection: VetLaunch staff and our Entrepreneurs in Residence will follow up with the applicant’s references, analyze their submitted application, and select 10-15 veteran entrepreneurs for the program. All applicants will be notified of their selection no later than January 4th